My very short rendition of the rules for determining the category of a covered bridge:
First, the WGN (World Guide Number), the first column in the list: Example: xx-yy-zz, xx=state, yy=county within the state, & zz=number within the county.
- Authentic: For a bridge to be authentic, it must be at least 12 long, be across something, have a truss, be of mostly wood construction, & its purpose is to carry cars across that something. These bridges will be denoted with a numeric 3rd digit set [eg 01-02-03].
- Romantic Shelter: Romantic shelters have be at least 12 long, be of mostly wood construction, & be across something. These bridges will be denoted with an alpha 3rd digit set [eg 01-02-a].
- Upper case alpha if the purpose of the bridge is for automobile traffic.
- Lower case alpha if the purpose of the bridge is for pedestrian traffic.
- OCBI (Of Covered Bridge Interest): Covered bridges that dont fit into Authentic or Romantic Shelter category. These bridges will be denoted with a left parenthesis-alpha 3rd digit set [eg 01-02-(a]. These include:
- Concrete & Steel construction covered bridges.
- Covered bridges connected to a building on one or both ends whether wood or concrete/steel.
- Buildings that resemble a covered bridge.
When you send me a picture of a CB, I need enough information about it to be able to determine which category to place it in. Without that determination, the picture just sits in a hopefully someday directory until I can get the required information to determine its category. Then I will send the information to the NSPCB for an official number.
Please include as much of the following with your entry as you can:
- The date the picture was taken and who gets credit for the photo.
- The name of the bridge.
- The name of the water it crosses.
- The length of the bridge portal to portal.
- The date the bridge was built.
- The location of the bridge with enough detail that I can find it on a map. GPS coordinates of the bridge would be great.
I will put an entry on my list indicating there is a CB, but there will be no information on the list. So, if you only have the location information, send as much as you can and if I can get it on the list, maybe someone someday will stop by and be able to talk to the owner & the required information for the bridge.